The following is a suggested list of things to do, in order, to start your orchestra.
- Determine your vision and goals
- Find a conductor
- Find rehearsal and performance space
- Start a website
- Recruit musicians
- Schedule rehearsals and concerts
- Acquire some sheet music
- Start rehearsing!
- Build your orchestra's administrative leadership
- Open a bank account
- Incorporate as a business at the state level
- Write bylaws
- Apply for 501(c)(3) nonprofit status
Many of these steps include substeps, so make sure to read carefully and follow the links.
Here are some other useful topics to help you as you proceed (check the Topics Index for a complete list):